Why Should I volunteer with Kids Count? Because...
1. Fewer than 50% of Alachua County low-income students who entered 9th grade five years ago will graduate this year.
2. Rawlings and Williams are two out of of five Alachua County elementary schools with over 85% of students coming from
low- income families.
3. Research has shown that if a child falls behind in reading as early as first grade, without intervention, there is little chance
he will ever catch up with his peers.
4. Standardized test scores of third grade students are used to predict future prison population.
5. We commit to work passionately to provide the intervention needed to help our students succeed.
6. We all lose when children don't grow and develop into all they can be.
7. Kids Count is research based.
8. We provide students one-on-one literacy tutoring with trained tutors.
9. We work with the whole child to inspire a love of life and learning in our students through character development, education
and special enrichment activities.
What Can I do as a Volunteer?
There are several ways you can volunteer:
· Homework Help
· Art Projects
· Preparing Snacks
· Outdoor Activities
· Performing Arts
· Reading with Students
· Friday Enrichment Activities
· Facility Maintenance
· Organizing and Prepping Materials
· Maintaining the Library
· Cooking Lessons
· Science Projects
· Chaperoning Field Trips
· Prepare Take Home Games
· Playing Games
We will find a way to utilize your gifts and talents!
*An easy way for you or your organization to help Kids Count is to organize a supply drive.
· School supplies and Books
· School Uniforms
· Art and Scrapbook Supplies
· Garden Supplies
· Playground Equipment
· Board Games and Puzzles
· Healthy Snacks
· Cleaning Supplies
What Are the Steps to Volunteer?
1. Contact us by clicking on the Volunteer Link at the top of the page.
2. Attend an Orientation.
3. Undergo a background check.
4. Start working with our kids!
Links to our Volunteer Application and our Volunteer Handbook (that we will go over during Orientation) are located to the left. There is no need to fill them out right now but they will provide some useful information to get you started.
We do have opportunities for internships available. If you are interested in interning for us, please fill out our volunteer application and make a note you are interested in an internship.