Kids Count is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that provides a free after school program for kindergarten through 3rd grade students in low performing elementary schools in Gainesville, Florida.
Our vision is to...
· Provide an opportunity for students who need extra support in the community to succeed in school and life
· Partner with schools, churches, organizations, & businesses to offer a highly effective program
· Inspire hope, enhance learning, and improve self-confidence while building social skills & concern for others
· Provide qualified staff, volunteers, and expertise for the program
We focus on three areas: Academics, Social Skill Development, and Enrichment
Math and Literacy Tutoring - For one hour, twice a week, students work one-on-one with the University of Florida's College of Education tutors on math and literacy literacy skills. Each lesson is specifically designed for our student's individual needs.
Homework Help - Students are tutored one-on-one or in small groups with homework and supplemented with enrichment activities if they have no homework or get finished early. '
2. Social Skill Development:
We teach one character trait a month through practice and reinforcement. We creatively combine our Friday enrichment activities to go along with our traits.
3. Friday Enrichment:
We reach out to the community by inviting guests or going on field trips. This provides fun learning experiences that our students may not otherwise have.
Locations and Hours:
We are now serving 50 students in grades K-3 (20 from Rawlings and 30 from Williams). Reaching more students has always been and will continue to be our goal.